Forums & Community
Maces Mailbag - 11th November 2018
Wright -top 4
Cross -top 4
Wade - in form
Smith - improving
Van Den Burgh - youth champ?
Cadby - 🔥if visa allowed. He is future world champ. Big averages. Attitude/personality
De Zwaan - 🔥 potential again.
Let’s give some young flair players ago, Barney doesn’t deserve but will get in due to Dutch ticket sales. Wouldn’t be surprised to see max hopp invited and a Asian player to try and expand the game even more.
My ten picks:
MvG, Anderson, Wright, Cross, Wade, Smith, Whitlock, Gurney, RvB, Suljovic
Whitlock is really underestimated and is constantly going deep in tournaments (EC Final, 2 Euro Tour Finals) + Fan favorite
Gurney is no 5 of the world and surely will be in although I hate his on stage behaviour. Not entertaining, just sad and unfair.
RvB in if he has a good worlds because he is the dutch legend and needed for Rotterdam double header.
Suljovic also needs good worlds.
Joe Cullen: I think Joe Cullen hasn't proven much but that he can mention the PL in every interview. (Like Darren Webster)
Ian White: If he has a good worlds and proves he can hold it together when it matters.
I'm still not 100% sure if we're being asked who we WOULD pick or THINK will be picked. I'll start with the former and end with the latter.
Who I would pick: MvG, (Gary) Anderson, Wright, Cross, Gurney, Mensur, Wade, Whitlock, Smith and (Adrian) Lewis, with wildcards (depending on a good run at the Worlds) of (Jamie) Lewis and (Darren) Webster.
Who I think will be picked: MvG, (Gary) Anderson, Wright, Cross, Gurney, Mensur, Wade, Whitlock, Smith and Barney, because Barney made his annual transparent and suspect hint at playing more often. Wildcards depending on a good run at the Worlds would be Dimitri VdB and Jamie Lewis.
My premier league suggestion...
1. MVG 2. Anderson 3. Wright 4. Cross
^ Top 4 OoM, (I feel cross isn’t playing like a top 8 player just now but he is there on merit and deserves to be in premier league 100%, when his throw is working he seriously can beat anyone)
5. Wade (I am not a fan of wade in the slightest but he is very classy player and proving himself again by winning back to back tournaments = has to be in)
6. Suljovic (such a steady player who always gives 100% and very rarely has a bad performance)
7. Smith (quick and very entertaining player to watch not to mention a great year for him)
8. Whitlock (he has kicked on after working hard for his place last year and has been very consistent this year, can be inconsistent but tends to find bursts of excellence throughout matches or to win matches)
9. Gurney (not had a great year and he isn’t in his best form but when he does play well he plays VERY well, makes the game look easy, and never easy to beat)
10. Price (this is a tricky one as he had awful Pl18 after getting a chance.., however the way he has bounced back and played consistently the last few months I feel he deserves another chance, I feel like he would be determined to mix it with the best in the world and he knows what to expect now)
** Wildcard **
11. Darren Webster (he is such a dangerous player to play against and always fights till the end, seriously consistent and possibly deserves a chance as I feel he would grow from the experience)
12. Adrian Lewis (fantastic player and always has incredible darts in his locker, don’t think he has done enough on tv yet to earn a place so a very good run in worlds might just give a chance)
**** Honorable Mentions ****
Ian white - class player on floor but doesn’t perform well enough on tv
Dave Chisnall - 180 machine but nowhere near consistent enough just now
Max Hopp - what a talent for future but couple years too soon
Jamie Lewis - again excellent young talent but will need to up consistency before he earns a chance (possibly 2 years time)
Barney - I like Barney and he is a legend but I feel like if he gets another chance I’m the premier league it’s disrespectful to other players who have worked seriously hard and deserve it more... Barney throws in the towel and gets frustrated far too easily when things don’t go his way and I would be disappointed if he gets in but it wouldn’t surprise me)
Mvg world number 1 and premier league champ
Peter wright world number 2 has had a steady year
rob cross world champ and world number 3
Gary anderson world number 4 and has won aome big titles this year
Daryl Gurney world number 5 had a good champions league of darts and a few other decent runs also had a good campaign last time
James wade world number 6 has won two tv majors in 7 days and has been playing well all year
Mensur suljovic world number 7 has had a good year with a matchplay final and a couple of good runs in tournaments
Michael smith world number 9 won a world series event and got to the final of the premier league last year
Rvb nothing spectacular this year has made a final and had a few good runs in tournaments the pull of him on the dutch nights will also help get him in
Simon whitlock world number 8 his place is most under pressure but he did ok on his return has made a final this year and has been quite consistent
Dave chisnall seems to be in ok form at the minute but hasnt used it to get to the later stage of any tournaments this year likely needs a couple of deep runs to be one of the 10
Joe cullen had a good run at the matchplay and at the european championship but his b game is a weakness and will need improving if he is to compete he likely needs a coue of deep runs into tournaments to have a chance
There are other players that with a good end to the year could get in but these would be my 10 and 2 most likely to give it a good push
Not to pushed who plays in the premier league, it is what it is, a way to fund the professional tour and a glorified exhibition.
My point/question is.
is it time to kick the Bdo invites to the GSOD into touch.
There are lads on the tour id far rather watch than Gary robson, harms and others, for some of these Bdo lads its a freeroll (you know what that is) no pressure. Rock up, win or lose get a chunk of cash and move on. . Feck that. . I’d far rather see lads from the tour, who support the Pdc 36 plus weekends of the year get a decent payday . Maybe a few lads from challenge tour and youth tour as well .
Theyve hasd there chances to cross over, and a lot haven’t. Time to take the tit from there mouth and move on. Focus on the lads doing the tour.
We will get the “it’s something different”, I don’t think the tour card lads will see it like that, or the lads sat at home watching robson and co clog up the group stages.
Before i give my picks just a quick heads up on the odds with Sportingbet to be a part of the PL (they will of course suspend and fluctuate once the GSOD darts gets underway.
MVG/Anderson/Cross/Wright/Wade/Suljovic/Smith are all 1/100 to take their spot while Gurney rates a 1/33 chance.
Given the layers are never far wrong seems there are only two spots up for grabs.
Van Den Bergh 3/1
This is where i think it gets interesting, for me they have to take a stab on the young guns. Unless a Chizzy or Lewis come from nowhere and win one of the 3 remaining majors (and yes they are all definite majors). If Dimitri goes back to back winning the world youth and backs up his quarter final at ally pally again he has to be given a crack.
If anyone else interested other selected odds are as follows -
De Zwaan 8/1
P.s Wade was 6/1 prior to the European championship
These for me are the only 7 secured. The next 5 need a good TV run
8. White (protour success)
9. Lewis (naturally talented)
10. Gurney (ranked 5 in world)
11. Whitlock (good year so far)
12. Barney (if he can play everyone like he plays MVG)