Forums & Community

[Sticky] Maces Mailbag - 18th November 2018  

RSS

Darts Planet
(@darts-planet)
Member Admin
11/11/2018 6:15 pm  

How do you think the BDO players are getting on in the Grand Slam so far.

Have the BDO Players done better or worse than you thought they would have done?

Chris will be discussing this on the show, so please leave your comments below.

Gavin Rookyard

ReplyQuote
Dicie
(@dicie)
11/11/2018 9:22 pm  

My point/question is.

is it time to kick the Bdo invites to the GSOD into touch. 

There are lads on the tour id far rather watch than Gary robson, harms and others, for some of these Bdo lads its a freeroll (you know what that is) no pressure. Rock up, win or lose get a chunk of cash and move on. . Feck that. . I’d far rather see lads from the tour, who support the Pdc 36 plus weekends of the year get a decent payday . Maybe a few lads from challenge tour and youth tour as well . 

Theyve hasd there chances to cross over, and a lot haven’t. Time to take the tit from there mouth and move on. Focus on the lads doing the tour. 

We will get the “it’s something different”, I don’t think the tour card lads will see it like that, or the lads sat at home watching robson and co clog up the group stages. 

Just an example 

robson out . Jamie Lewis in 

harms out Luke humphries in 

id leave williams, Mitchell and duzza in. 

Rest of the Bdo lads I’d kick into touch. 

Dicie 

ps. We now know murnan lost to robson, and webby lost to harms, but both were poor 

ReplyQuote
180Juggalo
(@180juggalo)
13/11/2018 3:15 pm  

I always hope the BDO players do well and make it competitive.

But with 4 gone already and the real possibility of all 8 not making it out of the group stage, this could be the worst ever showing from the BDO players at the Slam.

ReplyQuote
Dicie
(@dicie)
14/11/2018 8:03 am  
Posted by: 180Juggalo

I always hope the BDO players do well and make it competitive.

But with 4 gone already and the real possibility of all 8 not making it out of the group stage, this could be the worst ever showing from the BDO players at the Slam.

I see your point juggalo, but haven’t the Pdc a product now in place that the Bdo lads aren’t now needed . Payne and dimitri both make it thru the group stages, 2 lads from the “youth tour” and 2 lads I’d like to see more of on our tv screens as there career progresses. 

Maybe put in a player that hasn’t already qualified from the euro tour events. Highest ranked from the 10 events or so. He will already have big stage experience and will be another Pdc player. 

Maybe a mini ranking table then from say uk open, players championships and the worlds. Give 2 players already not qualified get a spot at the grand slam. 

I dont mean to come across as offensive, but the Pdc don’t need the Bdo lads, and haven’t for some time to make this competition competitive. 

Use the product that they’ve created youth tour and challenge tour players and use the grand slam (minimum 3 matches on the big stage) to give these lads the experience they need. 

Plus, the payday be handy for lads within the Pdc ranks. Rather than giving the Bdo lads a chunk of cash for what is essentially a jolly up for them. It’s now a ranking event for the Pdc. Time to ditch the Bdo handouts 

This post was modified 4 weeks ago by Dicie

ReplyQuote
AJHUYTON
(@ajhuyton)
14/11/2018 9:38 am  

My first post here!

ive given up with the BDO I no longer enjoy lakeside since the 2007-2011 era won’t be topped! 

I do think the PDC needs some bollocks to stop BDO players in the grand slam after all it’s a ranking tournament for the Pdc Players. Id also like to know why Jelle Klassen is aloud to competite with his criminal record etc!

the bdo should merge with the PDC and ones that don’t should stay however with a twist for example if they have been ranked in the top 4 for 2/3 years they should received a tour card for the PDC FOR A YEAR 

ReplyQuote
Mark77
(@mark77)
14/11/2018 11:53 am  

Hi Mace what about having a top 16 from each pdc and BDO and have them in separate pots so they all meet scrap group stages and have first first 5 2nd round then on first to 10 and final first to 11 to meny players are getting in easily I.e Barney world cup ,losing a world series at least if it's top 16 from both every one there on a merit 

ReplyQuote
Thebaldeagle180
(@thebaldeagle180)
17/11/2018 9:40 am  

Hi Chris 

I feel that with the new rules surrounding Q school this will be the last year the BDO players are given entries. 

If Durrant, Mitchell etc get a tour card they are really going to be scraping the barrel next year, we will end up with players who weren’t good enough to get a tour card Hamilton, newton and the like playing on a free roll in a pdc major. 

At a push maybe invite the 4 world finalists ladies and men’s but I don’t think it should go past that.  

Wesley Harmful rocking up and taking last 16 prize money while Daryl Gurney watches at home doesn’t sit right with me. 

ReplyQuote
Oche Balboa
(@oche-balboa)
17/11/2018 1:26 pm  

This topic is interesting and has always come up in forumland even when Scott Waites won the event in 2010.

I can understand the argument of getting rid of the BDO Players or reducing them, Its a PDC event and there's always some big players missing (Gurney, Chisnall & Lewis) this year. 

I believe that the PDC tried to make moves to reduce the BDO players a few years ago before a change of mind (From Sky maybe?) to the current format we have now. 

Personally the think that should go is the group stage, it doesnt really work in Darts IMO. 

I would go for a 48 man GSOD field and have a straight knockout. This will ensure the big players will be present, BDO Players will be involved, Chance for Ladies players, Challenge, Development & PDC Regional. 

I will list what would have been my proposed criteria 

Here is the criteria 

Players that reached Major/TV Finals (12)

Rob Cross
Michael Van Gerwen
Gary Anderson
James Wade
Dimitri Van den Bergh
Raymond Van Barneveld
Peter Wright
Michael Smith
Mensur Suljovic
Josh Payne
Simon Whitlock
Johnny Clayton

Players who won on Euro tour not qualified (3)

Gerwyn Price
Ian White
Max Hopp

Players who won on Pro Tour not Qualified (6)

Mickey Mansell
Jeffrey De Zwaan
Mervyn King
Nathan Aspinall
Danny Noppert
Krzysztof Ratajski

Players who won on World Series not Qualified

None

Players who reached the Semi finals of World Champs, World Matchplay, World Grand Prix (3 oldest PDC Events) (2)

Jamie Lewis (World Semi)
Daryl Gurney (World Grand Prix Semi)

Top 3 in Rankings not yet qualified

Dave Chisnall, Darren Webster, Joe Cullen

Development Tour winner (1)

Luke Humphries

Challenge Tour Winner (1)

Michael Barnard

Regional Table Leaders (4)

Baltic: Darius Labanuskas
Asian: Lourence Ilagan
CDC- Chuck Puleo
DPA- Raymond Smith

BDO (12)

WC: Glen Durrant
R/UP: Mark McGeeney
World Trophy R/up: Michael Unterbuchner
World Masters: Adam Smith-Neale
Rankings: Scott Mitchell, Jim Williams, Wes Harms, Gary Robson, Richard Veenstra, Scott Waites
Ladies Winner: Lisa Ashton
R/UP: Anastasia Dobromyslova

4 Qualifiers for Tour Card Holders only. 

ReplyQuote
Oche Balboa
(@oche-balboa)
17/11/2018 1:29 pm  
Posted by: Thebaldeagle180

Hi Chris 

I feel that with the new rules surrounding Q school this will be the last year the BDO players are given entries. 

If Durrant, Mitchell etc get a tour card they are really going to be scraping the barrel next year, we will end up with players who weren’t good enough to get a tour card Hamilton, newton and the like playing on a free roll in a pdc major. 

At a push maybe invite the 4 world finalists ladies and men’s but I don’t think it should go past that.  

Wesley Harmful rocking up and taking last 16 prize money while Daryl Gurney watches at home doesn’t sit right with me. 

Gurney has himself to blame he has chances at the tenfold to qualify and failed to do so. 

ReplyQuote
Dicie
(@dicie)
17/11/2018 5:26 pm  
Posted by: Oche Balboa

This topic is interesting and has always come up in forumland even when Scott Waites won the event in 2010.

I can understand the argument of getting rid of the BDO Players or reducing them, Its a PDC event and there's always some big players missing (Gurney, Chisnall & Lewis) this year. 

I believe that the PDC tried to make moves to reduce the BDO players a few years ago before a change of mind (From Sky maybe?) to the current format we have now. 

Personally the think that should go is the group stage, it doesnt really work in Darts IMO. 

I would go for a 48 man GSOD field and have a straight knockout. This will ensure the big players will be present, BDO Players will be involved, Chance for Ladies players, Challenge, Development & PDC Regional. 

I will list what would have been my proposed criteria 

Here is the criteria 

Players that reached Major/TV Finals (12)

Rob Cross
Michael Van Gerwen
Gary Anderson
James Wade
Dimitri Van den Bergh
Raymond Van Barneveld
Peter Wright
Michael Smith
Mensur Suljovic
Josh Payne
Simon Whitlock
Johnny Clayton

Players who won on Euro tour not qualified (3)

Gerwyn Price
Ian White
Max Hopp

Players who won on Pro Tour not Qualified (6)

Mickey Mansell
Jeffrey De Zwaan
Mervyn King
Nathan Aspinall
Danny Noppert
Krzysztof Ratajski

Players who won on World Series not Qualified

None

Players who reached the Semi finals of World Champs, World Matchplay, World Grand Prix (3 oldest PDC Events) (2)

Jamie Lewis (World Semi)
Daryl Gurney (World Grand Prix Semi)

Top 3 in Rankings not yet qualified

Dave Chisnall, Darren Webster, Joe Cullen

Development Tour winner (1)

Luke Humphries

Challenge Tour Winner (1)

Michael Barnard

Regional Table Leaders (4)

Baltic: Darius Labanuskas
Asian: Lourence Ilagan
CDC- Chuck Puleo
DPA- Raymond Smith

BDO (12)

WC: Glen Durrant
R/UP: Mark McGeeney
World Trophy R/up: Michael Unterbuchner
World Masters: Adam Smith-Neale
Rankings: Scott Mitchell, Jim Williams, Wes Harms, Gary Robson, Richard Veenstra, Scott Waites
Ladies Winner: Lisa Ashton
R/UP: Anastasia Dobromyslova

4 Qualifiers for Tour Card Holders only. 

Good post oche, but do you really think the Bdo lads add anything to the event anymore? 

It was different years ago, it had no ranking status for the Pdc, now it has. Why should the Bdo lads, who have now had ample opportunities to cross over be given ranking money, hen they don’t support the Pdc tour. 

Im not anti Bdo, as you know, I’m a darts fan, but everything has its place, and I just don’t think the grand slam needs the Bdo lads anymore. Certainly not with the Challenge tour and “youth” tour up and running 

ReplyQuote
Marcus knapman
(@marcus-knapman)
18/11/2018 9:20 am  

Think the grand slam has run his course as a mixed bag. Qualification for this is now crazy. Bdo pick the 8 players. 

And pdc have qualifers for places. When it was winners and runners up of majors it was perfect but now any one having a good day can qualify. 

Needs to go back to comp winners and runners up use the challenge tour and development tour to boost the field and leave the bdo out.

( not enough majors to Warrent spots) 

ReplyQuote
Joewillo180
(@joewillo180)
18/11/2018 4:39 pm  

Hi Chris

Has Price now secured a place in next year’s Premier League despite what happens in the final tonight?

ReplyQuote
Share:
(Visited 30255 times, 8 visits today)

Working

Please Login or Register