Further details confirmed regarding ranked PDC Summer Series with Grand Slam of Darts spot on offer
The PDC Summer Series has been confirmed to take place from July 8-12 at the Marshall Arena in Milton Keynes and count towards the PDC Order of Merit.
The professional circuit has been suspended since mid-March at the hands of the coronavirus pandemic, with the Home Tour providing much needed, yet unranked respite for players worldwide.
Nevertheless, all 128 tour card holders have now been given the opportunity to participate in the five-tournament staging, with players and staff being tested for coronavirus upon their arrival to the venue.
Following an announcement from the Professional Darts Corporation on Friday, the anticipated return of the ProTour will count towards the various ranking systems and act as qualification for the upcoming World Matchplay.
Previously earned prize money which would have naturally lapsed from the numerous ranking systems will be removed ahead of the Summer Series commencing.
Following the removal of those earnings, the top 32 on the ProTour Order of Merit will be seeded on the opening day of the professional return, with world number one Michael van Gerwen currently ranked eighth.
As an added bonus for those travelling to Milton Keynes, a Grand Slam of Darts spot will be up for grabs to the winner of the Summer Series Order of Merit, with collective earnings across the five days comprising that particular ranking.
PDC Chief Executive Matt Porter said: “There is understandably a lot of anticipation for players ahead of the PDC Summer Series and confirmation of the situation around rankings will give them all clarity as they prepare to return to action.
“We thank the PDPA for their constructive support during recent months as they represented the interests of all their members during an unprecedented time.”
RANKING CONFIRMATIONS AHEAD OF PDC SUMMER SERIES
Following discussions with the PDPA, the following has been confirmed in relation to rankings:
- Prize money which would naturally have lapsed from the PDC Order of Merit and ProTour Order of Merit between March 16 and July 8 will be removed ahead of the start of the Summer Series.
- The seedings for Summer Series Day One (PC9) will be based on the ProTour Order of Merit at July 8, with 52 weeks of prize money included.
- The seedings for Summer Series Days Two-Five will be based on that day’s ProTour Order of Merit, with previous days’ prize money included.
- Qualification for the World Matchplay will be confirmed following Summer Series Day Five, with the cut-off date amended from the original date (Sunday July 5) to Sunday July 12. This will be based on 104 weeks’ prize money for 16 qualifiers from the PDC Order of Merit and 52 weeks’ prize money for 16 qualifiers from the ProTour Order of Merit.
- A place in the 2020 Grand Slam of Darts will be awarded to the winner of the Summer Series Order of Merit.