PDC European Championship Preview
The Unibet European Championship kicks off in Gottingen, Germany this evening, with some stand out first round ties on offer over the next two days.
There is a £500,000 prize fund on offer, with £100,000 and the trophy available to the winner, who will be crowned on Sunday evening.
Defending champion is James Wade, who dodged several semi final bullets against home hero Max Hopp last year, before defeating Simon Whitlock 11-7 to win the title. The Aldershot ace has a tough opener, with Wales’ Jonny Clayton his first round opponent on Thursday night.
Other stand out opening round ties include a clash of former champions, as Adrian Lewis and Simon Whitlock look to arrest their recent slides in form. The tournament kicks off with Joe Cullen taking on Mervyn King it what should be a cracker.
Michael van Gerwen, fresh from his Champions League victory in Leicester last weekend, meets Ross Smith in the penultimate match of the night on Thursday.
His second round opponent could well be form horse, Glen Durrant, who faces Ricky Evans in his first round outing.
Round two kicks off with four matches on Friday night, with the last 16 concluding on Saturday evening. The quarters, semis and final will all be played to a finish on a marathon Sunday session.
(1) Michael van Gerwen v (32) Ross Smith
(16) Glen Durrant v (17) Ricky Evans
(8) Joe Cullen v (25) Mervyn King
(9) Rob Cross v (24) Darren Webster
(5) Dave Chisnall v (28) Dimitri Van den Bergh
(12) James Wade v (21) Jonny Clayton
(4) Daryl Gurney v (29) William O’Connor
(13) Adrian Lewis v (20) Simon Whitlock
(2) Ian White v (31) Michael Smith
(15) Keegan Brown v (18) Stephen Bunting
(7) Peter Wright v (26) Jeffrey de Zwaan
(10) Jamie Hughes v (23) Jermaine Wattimena
(6) Mensur Suljovic v (27) Vincent van der Voort
(11) Krzysztof Ratajski v (22) Chris Dobey
(3) Gerwyn Price v (30) Ted Evetts
(14) Nathan Aspinall v (19) Steve Beaton